[VAC] Re: Bicycle Carriers

Hi Jim,

Over the years, I've used a carrier on the front bumper, on the rear bumper,
on the hitch receiver and on the roof. All of them resulted in the bicycles
getting filthy from road dirt and spray on rainy days. Keeping the chains
cleaned was a "must do job" before we could use them after driving in the
rain, along with a general cleaning.

If I didn't have a Van and if I hadn't found a better way, I'd probably look
into one of the zippered bags for bikes - with sewn in accomodations for the
hardware used with bumper, hitch receiver and roof  top carriers. They came
on the market after we bought our Van back in the 70s.

For the last 20 years of RVing, it's been a new day for us. Our kids are
grown and on their own. As a result, I changed my bicycle carrying method.
The easiest way for me to haul my one bicycle is inside our E-250 Ford Van.

The bike goes crosswise behind the front seats along with our electric wheel
chair (secured with its' own seat belts). The bicycle is shorter than the
Van is wide,  it takes up very little room (width of pedals is about 18
inches), is easy to secure with bungy cords to floor loops I installed and
is simple to remove or put back without unpacking or removing anything
inside the Van.

I moved the Van's rear seat back 6 inches to gain additional, immediately
accessible floor storage space for our water filters, fresh water hoses,
tool boxes, air pressure tank, a personal lift, a wheel chair lift and power
attachments to operate them.  In spite of these items, there is still a
comfortable amount of space for two adults to sit on the factory original
rear seat (with seat belts).

Plus, I built a floor to ceiling closet with shelves along the streetside
wall for spare parts, my scuba gear, my mountain climbing gear, cushions,
propane cooking grill, Coleman one burner stove, and the usual hoses and
belts for our Van's engine.

Why am I telling you this when you're asking for ideas about outside storage
of bicycles? Who knows, you may buy another tow vehicle. If it's a Van,
you'll have this idea as a viable option.

If I didn't need to carry the wheel chair, I'm sure I could get three
bicycles behind the front seats and still have plenty of room for two adults
or three children on the rear seat (plus a portable, cushioned game table in
front of them). I could make that change this afternoon in an hour.

When I tow with our Suburban or 1975 Mercury Station Wagon, I don't take the
bicycle. There is no 18 inch slice of space for it to slip into like there
is with our Van.  Both are good tow vehicles, but they are not convenient
storage vehicles for what we must carry, plus what we like to carry.

This reply may be of little use to you. Perhaps, it'll help those with Vans
or those thinking of buying another tow vehicle.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net