[VAC] 02/22/01 Thursday - EEWCRC

"Exploring East & West of the Colorado River Caravan"

Today's travel is to Lake Havasu City. By 8am, I had inspected four rigs before they started their
170 mile trip. On each travel day, specific caravaners are assigned to look over each departing rig
with a mental checklist, i.e. tv antenna down, directional signals working, hitch connected
correctly, step retracted, etc., etc. before they leave.

By 9am, all but three couples were on their way. Our group had the job of being caboose. While I was
replacing a burned out directional signal, the insurance agent arrived to inspect our damage claim.
Fifteen minutes later, with the inspection done, our group was rolling north. The highway seemed
like a macadam ribbon through stark brown desert, choked with RVs going to or coming from Quartzite.
For such a barren land, it seemed odd that so many people were out in the middle of it. Because the
sun's heat can be overwhelming in a short time and because we notice it most while driving, I use a
cut off shirt sleeve on my arm when it's in the direct path of sunlight. I prefer a warm arm than
having it seared and burned.

Quartzite traffic was like any large city at rush hour. The hustle and bustle of buying and selling
looked hectic, but in this case, enjoyable. The price of fuel was 10-15 cents less than we've seen
in months. During the drive here, each couple had a chance to be last, middle or first in the
caboose line up. When we would spot an Airstream parked alongside the desert, each of us stopped to
check if they needed help or were just having lunch. As Quartzite got closer, we noticed the number
of RVers parked in the desert increased dramatically. This city has the largest population of
boondockers in the country. Just about every parked rig bristled with solar panels - tipped upright
to capture the southern sunlight.

At the town of Parker along the Colorado River, we saw lush trees and plants at the shoreline. Just
25' away from the river, the landscape suddenly turned drab brown with parched dryness for as far as
the eye could see. Parker Dam was built during 1934-38 and is the deepest dam in the world.
Underground aquaducts are used to supply water to much of southern California. We took pictures and
had lunch there. Ice cubes melted quickly, yet we didn't feel hot when in the shade.

Our campground in Lake Havasu City has water, sewer, electric, cable and the parking is on a level
concrete pad. The swimming pool, laundry and clubhouse look new. This evening's meal was prepared by
caravaners. We learned that baked potatoes, boiled for 20 minutes, could be wrapped in aluminum
foil, placed on thick towels in an ice chest, covered with more towels and allowed to "cook" for
another hour. They were still piping hot (and cooked all the way through) when served. This method
seemed too simple, but it worked like a charm. The rest of tonight's menu included chili sauce with
meat, broccoli, chopped fruit and chocolate chip cookies.

After supper, the game of joker continued, but this time Sandie had a different partner. It didn't
make any difference. She and her partner trounced another caravaner and myself. This is her second
time playing and her mastery of the strategies is impressive.

There's no telephone plug available for email at this campground. Bummer. My outgoing mail is piling
up. We've been so busy, I haven't had time to scramble up a phone plug elsewhere. I've seen options
and would have asked, but....

The Van ran well again today. No new noises. Since reducing the choke richness, there seems to be
more power on uphill grades. Chores like checking engine fluid levels are done daily to be sure a
simple oversight doesn't cause a major inconvenience in the desert.

This week, I noticed the frame on our screen door has a 3" crack in the hinge, causing the door to
sag when open. Perhaps, I'll temporarily reinforce that area with a piece of scrap 1/4" aluminum, if
I can find it in my boxes of "spare things."

More tomorrow,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net