[VAC] Re: General Maintenance frequency

Jill,
My '60 Overlander has been in the family since it first left the factory in
Jackson Center, Ohio. We have kept most of the reciepts. Honestly,
considering that the trailer is 41 years old the maintenance and repairs
have been minimal.

Maintenance consists of:
    -always putting her away clean with empty tanks
    -fix the little things as they break
    -repack the wheel bearings every year or two and have the brakes
inspected at the same time
    -replace the tires as soon as they start to show signs of dry rot (about
every 5 to 8 years)
    -have the propane appliances inspected and adjusted every couple of
years

Big ticket times have mainly been replacement of appliances.
    -airconditioner installed in 1973, replaced in 1998
    -furnace was replaced in 1977, the replacement was replaced in 2000.
    -refrigerator was replaced in 1987
    -hot water heater replaced in 2000.

Other items have included:
    -replacing the battery every 3 or 4 years
    -replacing a worn out door handle
    -replacing the toilet, once in 1986, again in 2000
    -replacing the curtains, upolstery and carpeting
    -replacing the plastic/fiberglass vent cover.
    -making an awning
    -professional polish and seal
    -hitches, coolers, brake control units, etc. to set up vehicles for
towing

All in all, with repairs/maint/improvements and all car prep charges to
enable the car to tow, we have averaged about $450 a year. Some years we
spent nothing on it except the antifreeze to winterize it in the fall. Last
year we did spend a couple of thousand on multiple appliance replacement.
Another year we elected to spend $4000 on a professional polish and seal
job. We could of saved quite a bit, had our family been blessed with
mechanical ability, as most of this work was hired out. Please note, this is
for a trailer that has been used every year. Start up expenses for a trailer
that has sat unused for several years are likely to be much higher, but much
depends on how picky you are. I am picky.

Scott Scheuermann