[VAC] Overseas caravan breakdowns

I think a little positive thinking is in order, so far as dealing with
breakdowns is concerned.

Today we all (or almost all) have computers more powerful and reliable than
the one that handled the Apollo moon landing.

In the interim, we could collect data on what components tend to break or be
unreliable. Most important, we could identify those which could have an
adverse impact on the journey.  Thus we could carry a supply of potentially
useful spare parts and the mechanics with the required expertise to repair
or replace them.

More significantly, we have access to GPS navigation systems, global
wireless communications, and air freight (DHL, Fed Ex, UPS, etc., and even
International Express Mail).  Consequently, critical parts and supplies
could be rapidly expedited to the caravan if required. It is also very
difficult to get lost with today's inexpensive technologies.

In short, we are far better equipped today to deal with breakdowns than ever
before.  In addition, today's tow vehicles are far more reliable (even
though far more complicated) than those of yesteryear.  The trailer,
meanwhile is still a relatively simple passive device that has the ability
to endure (which explains why we have a VAC) .  The only caveat is to not
push the tow vehicle or trailer beyond its designed capacity (except in an
emergency, of course).

It seems to me that with some intelligent planning, most of the serious
problems can be anticipated and planned for.  The unexpected - well, that's
what life and excitement are all about.  That's where the fun comes in.  If
you can't roll with the punches, then I think, you had better go back to
bed! [I have no data, but one might be able to make the case that being in
bed is the most dangerous place to be, since so many people die there.]

I hope I have the health, the funds, the time and most important, the mental
attitude to make such a trip.

To quote Scott Carpenter, "Bon voyage and Godspeed, John Glenn."

Oliver Filippi
'76 25' Tradewind