[VAC] Re: The Holographic effect

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] The Holographic effect
>I have done some experimenting with my Porter-Cable 6" random orbital
>variable speed sander (using a buffing pad), both with the green-ox and the
>Rolite pre-polish, and found it to be too timid.  The orbital action of the
>head robs much of the power of the circular motion.  I will try this again
>at the next step (Rolite metal polish), but from the tests I have done so
>far with the 3-stage Rolite system and the 7", I think it will work out OK
>using only the circular buffer.....

Thanks for the heads-up Bob, I've been admiring the DeWalt 7" buffer/sander,
now I have an excuse to get one!

>RE: the "hologram" effect, I have to disagree with RJ.  Or maybe more
>correctly I should say that you don't have to use sandpaper to get the
>"hologram" effect............ I used the pre-polish on my 7" x 12"
>piece (3 or 4 applications) and brought up a great shine and a great
>hologram effect.  I move on to the metal polish stage, and improved the
>shine, but still had the hologram effect. Only after 3 applications of the
>metal polish and total wipe-downs was I able to make this effect 95%
>disappear........

I think you are correct Bob, it's not just the sanding marks causing the fine
scratches.  I'm sure the source of the hologram effect is the combination of
scratches amongst a mirror finish, that's why it disappeared by toning down the
polish.  I think scratches were being introduced whenever the "mud" (alum oxide
and old polish) caked on the foam pad.  Around & around it went, making
tiny scratches.  I also used the Pre-Polish (the regular polish doesn't cut as
fast & build-up) a lot more on the previously sanded areas, probably
causing the effect to even be more pronounced on these areas.

How to avoid this?  Towards the end, I was using a spray bottle with mineral
sprits to keep the pads from loading up or caking.  It is also important to not
work on a hot skin surface, as that dries the polish onto the pads very
quickly.
I'm ready to do another now!

>At this point this finish is VERY finicky and I think very fragile.  Just
>the direction of a wiping action (soft cotton wet with paint thinner) leaves
>lines which show under bright focused light.  This is very, very shiny, but
>it is still very soft aluminum.  Is it worth it?  Jury still out ....  Still
>a long ways to go to produce this kind of shine on the whole trailer.

It is because dust, water spots and natural oxidation shows up so readily on a
mirror polish (post AP-300), that we are going to stick with the Rolite Polish
being the final finish,  sealed with the Rolite sealer.  We'll see how this
strategy works going into year 2 now.

RJ