[VAC] Hologram effect when polishing

RJ mentions the "hologram effect" he encountered when polishing his trailer
(see page 6 of his excellent documentation):

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_polish6.html

(second to last photo on that page)

Who knows exactly what causes this, and exactly how to overcome it?  I see
this effect very obviously as I near the end of my Rolite Pre-Polish stage
(using 7" circular buffer/polisher), and the pattern of the reflected lines
or swirls would seem to be directly related to the diameter of the pad used.
In RJ's photo (before he went back to the metal polish stage to reduce the
shine), the lines look closer together than what I'm seeing (4" Cyclo
pad -vs- 7" buffing pad).  Some of you have said you got swirl-free finishes
using the 4" dual head cyclo process with Rolite. What did you do
differently than RJ, or are we not talking apples to apples here?  Are the
swirls you DON'T have something other than what RJ shows in his "hologram
effect" photo?

I understand that using the drum type polishers eliminate the swirl problem
due to the linear direction of the polishing action, but they are also mucho
expensivo.  see  http://www.airmarktools.net/services/index.html

Has the Vintage Club ever considered buying one of these units and renting
it to members?  Just a thought ....

BH62GT/SC