[VAC] Vintage Thetford Toilet

Wayne,

Thanks for the posting regarding overhaul of the vintage Thetford.  That is
a fine, detailed guide to a successful overhaul.

My toilet is complete, intact, and no signs of cracks or other damage.  The
aluminum riser base was corroded but salvageable.  I attacked it with a
power wire brush a couple of months ago then took it to a shop and had it
powder coated.  It looks pretty good.  I had turned my toilet upside down
and looked over the slide valve and installation screws and it is exactly as
you described.

Unfortunately, I was a little too hasty.  I called Thetford first thing
Monday morning and was told they had no toilets and no repair parts for that
model.  Since I didn't have a VACList response Friday morning I loaded the
toilet in my truck and visited my valuable Airstream source, a friend named
Tommy Page who has been working on Airstreams since the mid-'60s.  He began
working on them at Abbott Trailer Sales, one of the earliest Airstream
dealers and the first in West Texas, possibly all of Texas.  He now works
for a no-name-brand dealer but is still a tremendous resource.

I asked Tommy what my options are and he said he could get the soft parts
(gaskets, and seals) and offered to do the job for me.  He is fair and
honest and has been extremely generous in giving me free advice and several
minor parts he had laying around so I took him up on his offer.  Tommy will
probably charge me an hour or two of labor but I expect the toilet will be
as good as new when I get it back.  A good investment in treating a good
friend right who has been very helpful on past Airstream challenges.

Thanks again for the valuable detailed instructions.  I will save your
instructions for future use.  And I will tell list members how successful
the repair is.  I really didn't want to give up that fine old porcelain
fixture for a piece of plastic.

Harvey