[VAC] Re: Brake Controllers

>If the folks at Kelsey-Hayes or Tekonsha had gotten a little creative, I'm
>sure they could have developed  some sort of (electrical) sensor that could
>determine the increase in pressure in the tow vehicle's hydraulic brake
>system initiated by the driver; which doesn't require significant amounts of
>hydraulic fluid, and which is not affected by the anti lock brake system.
>Problem solved.

I imagine that they thought they *had* gotton creative.  I remember using
the K-H hydraulic controller on our old Malibu that we hauled a camper
with, 1983-1989.  Worked great...no changes in properties.  I also remember
that the auto mfg. did not like people to tap into the brake system, and
threatened a voiding of warranty.  That's about when the 'tail-light'
controllers were rising in popularity, before the ABS were available, even.

>Perhaps the best solution would be for the automakers to provide such a
>towing option  as an add on or integral part of the ABS system.   This ABS
>system already has a computer and knows exactly what the driver is doing.
>Therefore, it would be the logical component to provide the modulated signal
>to the trailer brakes or trailer brake controller.

This would be a great solution...but don't hold your breath.  Trailer
pullers are not a huge part of their markets.  Still, seems like they might
give it some thought.  I wonder how we could let them know that there's a
need?

- Dick
(5368)