[VAC] Tekonsha Brake Controllers

 RJ,

I guess I didn't explain my experiences with the old, tried and true,
hydraulic-electric brake controllers very well.  We were referring to
electric trailer brakes operated by hydraulic-electric brake controllers,
not Airstreams which were offered with hydraulic brakes a few years back.

Before tow trucks had ABS brakes, everyone I ever saw pulling a trailer used
the old original trailer brake controller manufactured by Kelsey-Hayes.  The
controller operated off of hydraulic pressure derived by tapping into the
hydraulic line to the tow vehicle's front brakes.  The greater the driver's
force applied to the brake pedal, the greater the hydraulic line pressure,
which resulted in a higher voltage in the controller and greater current to
the brake magnets.  They were a wonderfully simple and effective system, as
durable and practical as vintage Airstreams.

They were a little more complicated to hook up in the tow vehicle because
they required cutting the hydraulic brake line and installing a tee fitting
and a line through the firewall to the brake controller, but anyone who
"grew up" using one will tell you, as list members did today, they were far
superior to the modern electric-electric controllers whether pendulum or
delay type.

Harvey