[VAC] Re: Vintage Thetford Toilet

Harvey Wrote:
I would like to overhaul the flush mechanism before I put it back together
and reinstall it in the trailer.

Harvey this sounds like a plan!

Can anyone tell me?

1)  Is this the original '66 Safari toilet?

Yup!

2)  Are the overhaul seals, gaskets, and other small wear parts available?

Most!

3)  If so, where or from whom?

    Ahh! That's the trick! The Thetford slide valves are the Guts to this
toilet.
If your aluminum base is still in good shape you have a better that even
chance of rebuilding it.
Check to make sure your porcelain bowl is not cracked. If its ok you are
ready to start.
    Clean the toilet inside out if you haven't already.Turn it over on its
bowl with the base pointing straight up.
Look for the 5 screws that attach the steel base to the porcelain. Soak
these screws with liquid wrench or some other penetrant. Make sure you get
under the plate near the bowl. These screws are in rubber expansion nuts
that press against the mounting holes in the porcelain bowl.
    Once you have the upper and lower sections separated. Start
disassembling the aluminum base. Release the flush arm spring and remove the
flush arm. If you haven't done so already unbolt the two halves of the
aluminum base and remove the lower plastic pipe that connects to the bottom
of the Thetford valve.
Next remove the four bolts and spacers and remove the Thetford Valve.
Check the Valve operation against the o-ring seals, inner and outer. Check
for evidence of cracked plastic around the mounting holes for the valve. and
finally check for overall ease of movement (no pun intended) within the
slide body.
The most likely problems you will have encountered in disassembly will have
been the mounting hardware. The rubber expansion nuts and the 4 mounting
bolts and spacers for the Thetford valve should be replaced. Any good
hardware store should carry suitable replacements. If the valve appears to
be in working order reassemble in reverse order.
As I said before the Thetford valve is the most important part of the
assembly. Thetford still makes Slide Valves, go to.

http://www.thetford.com/parts_electramagicrvEZ.cfm

4)  What other alternatives do I have if the parts are not available?

Harvey, I don't have experience using this valve as a replacement, I
repaired mine and reconditioned the entire unit. I have been told the valve
can be used as a replacement with modifications. If you had any other model
bath unit I would tell you to just go get a new Thetford or any other RV
toilet and forget about it, but nobody makes a straight replacement with the
right setback for the 64 to 67 Trailers that have that wrap around
fiberglass bath.

Good luck
Let us know how you make out!

WAM