[VAC] Radial vs. Bias Ply Comparison

Charles,

I think Dr. Johns answered the radial v. bias ply tire question best.

Vintage A/Ss, except for the smallest and lightest, were equipped at the factory with 700 x 15" bias ply, light truck type tires.  Single axle trailers used 8 ply rated (now classified load range D), and tandem axle trailers were equipped with 6 ply rated, (load range C) tires.  Obviously, load range D tires have a higher weight carrying capacity than load range C.

I don't think load range E, 10 ply rated tires, are available in that size because the tire would exceed the weight capacity of the rim.  The higher the ply rating of the tire, the stiffer the side wall and resultant stiffer ride but I don't think much of the stiffness would be transmitted to the tow vehicle.

Of course the tire alone won't carry much weight.  It is the air pressure within that actually carries the weight.  An 8 ply tire can be inflated to  60 psi, a 6 ply tire to only 45 psi.  A 10 ply, if available, can be inflated to even higher pressures.  There is no harm in installing load range D tires on a tandem axle A/S.  That tire cost on y a few dollars more than a load range C tire and its stiffer side walls might wear a little longer and resist damage from striking a road hazard slightly better.

Are you confused yet?

Hope this helps answer your question.
Harvey

Harvey Barlow