[VAC] Re: Radial vs. Bias Ply Comparison

I have stayed pretty much with Bias tires over the years.  I have had poor
luck in years past with the 700-15 trailer type tires from Good year and
changed to 8 ply rated truck tires from the local farmers coop.

I was "forced to change to Radial tires in september when i lost the tread
off both of my tires within about 20 miles of each other in West Va.  I was
returning from Alaska and was only 400 miles from home. ( no, they weren't
firestones).

The tires were about half worn out and had about 20,000 miles on them.
They had been run at max load and had been purposely under inflated at
times to cushion the ride on some of the dirt roads in Alaska so no real
complaints.

My observations are limited at this point however The radial tires have a
more flexible side wall.  I was also told by  a trailer dealer that the
side walls on "trailer" tires are more flexible than passenger tires.

I can see the trailer rock slightly in the mirrors after I stop. Have also
observerd this following others.  Due to the softer sidewalls my lantern
mantle survival rate appears to be better so presumably the trailer is
cushioned better..

It appears that the tread depth of trailer tires runs about 10/32  while
the tread depth on a new truck tire is about 13/32nd.   This is probably
not important as these tires usually die of old age rather than tread wear
out any way.

I notice little if any difference in feel while driving.

As mentioned before the ST 225/75 R 15 is dimensionally similiar to the
700-15 and rated to carry 600 lbs more per tire in load range D.

I  Willbe turning off the list temporarily and heading for Florida tomorrw
afternoon.  Hope to se some of you in Sarasota.

May have a stronger opinion on the tire change after the trip

Rick Davis  1602
Jamestown, Tn
54 safari
69 Ambassador