Re: [VAC] Towing with a Ford manual transmission

I am NOT going to spend thousands of bucks on my "little" Ford V-8
that's got more power and weight than my previous Ford V-8 to get
similar towing capacity.

The axle gear change will cost about $500 having it done. Maybe that
much in the long run for special tires, but maybe not. I don't know what
for speedometer calibration, but I don't expect more than $200. Then the
usual for frame mounted hitch and brake controller.

There is no benefit from pulling a load without brakes. I've done that
with farm wagons and stopping gets to be too much excitement in some
situations such as a lightly sanded pavement.

This vehicle is the one that I'm WILLING to afford (my dad pulled my
Caravelle with a 3 liter Ford Ranger) and that can have a decent
longevity. I found sturdier vehicles, but very worn, indeed I have a
sturdy tow vehicle in the back yard, a '65 F350 with a 390 under the
hood, four barrel carb and 5.13 axle on the duals from a larger truck.
It will pull a house but gets rotten mileage, rides bad, and is very
noisy. I want to make my "little ford" That's longer, but not heavier,
pull a trailer to haul the same load as the 1 ton will carry on its back
then I don't need the 1 ton and can quit paying for license and
insurance for 7 miles a year or maybe 200 some years.

Fact is that the Ford with slushbox is rated for a lot greater towing
capacity than the same truck with manual transmission because the torque
converter gets a lower starting gear than the modern manual transmission
which my choice of axle gears and tires is designed to overcome. My last
ford had a manual transmission with a 6.5:1 low gear and it handled
heavy loads with ease. I get close with the 4.10 axle gears and
225/55R16 tires in the new truck. And shift to larger tires when not
towing to save on wear and fuel.

Gerald J.