Re: [VAC] Towing with a Ford manual transmission

It appears to me, that to spend an additional 4 or 5 thousand dollars
just to get a little ford V8 to pull 4700 lbs, straining, is the wrong
approach.  At minimum, a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup with at least a 350
cubic inch V8, and all the towing options is a better approach.  Several
tragic accidents have happened recently, with major damage to the
Airstream.   In most cases, the causes of the accidents are;
1.  Inadequate, underpowered tow vehicle.
2.  Speed in excess, of the road conditions.
3.  Improper Brakes, or Tow connections.

My recommendation, is to go with the biggest and strongest tow vehicle
you can afford, thus avoiding the tragedy of a wrecked Airstream.

Bill Scott
66 Tradewind, Land Yacht