Re: [A/S] 12 Volt Amp Limit?

> Does anyone know whether the 12 Volt sockets in a 96 Classic is rated
> to handle 15 amps?
>
> What wire gauge do you need to handle 15 amps?

Bob,

After reading Chris's reply I took all three of my 12v receptacles out
and did a visual. They each are fed with 12 gauge wire and are
wire-nuted (sp) to pig-tails that are either 16 gauge or 18 gauge (hard
to read the lettering on wire that small).
In line with what Chris recommends, an automotive cigarette lighter
receptacle is usually rated for 15A and can be purchased at Wally World
or an auto parts store. Depending on the mounting attachments that come
with an auto-type unit you could probably do a swap using your original
wall plate and some minor surgery.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

CraigC