RE: [A/S] RE: Goodyear tires? Oasis RV

Chris,

Say hello to Jay, the service manager at Oasis RV for me.  In my book, he is
the BEST!

I have no idea what tires he would recommend. However, I do remember Jay
recommending using an air pressure near the high end of the tire's maximum
pressure rating (as molded into the sidewall).

I have the Goodyear Marathons on my dual axle 25' Tradewind, vintage 1976.
I bought the higher load range (E  I think, not the D), even though my
trailer is significantly lighter than the current vintage.

Goodyear had a problem (and a recall) on the lower load rated version three
or four years ago, but not on the heavier duty one.

So far as transferring vibration to the trailer, I part company with Andy at
Inland RV,(who advises to go with the lowest load rated tire that will
handle the load). Vibration is caused primarily by out of round tires, and
poorly or improperly balanced tires. Radial tires have (must have, for the
construction to work - otherwise the tire would self destruct.) [Some folks
on the list may recall the "bias/belted" tires of the late sixties which did
exactly that.] very flexible sidewalls and a sideways stiff belt (but
flexible in the direction of travel. Since the sidewalls are VERY flexible,
(even in a heavier load rated radial tire), I don't think there is  a
significant increased rigidity to the tire at a given tire pressure, since
the sidewall does not contribute very much to the functional "stiffness" of
the tire. However, the sidewall will be stronger, can handle a higher air
pressure, and be more resistant to a blow out.  Thus a heavy load rated
radial will be far more compliant than an older bias ply constructed tire of
a similar load rating. Naturally, the higher the tire pressure, the less
resilient the tire will be. On the other hand, modern radials are designed
to handle higher tire pressures for less rolling resistance and hence better
fuel economy. Most of the road induced vibration is going to be handled by
the trailer's suspension (rubber bushed torsion bars) and the shock
absorbers.  If you look at your trailer when under way (even on a rough
road) I think you will be surprised how gently it "floats" up and down while
not transferring this motion to the tow vehicle. [A two axle  Airstream is
essentially a four wheel independent suspension system, which minimizes the
interaction of vertical motion from one wheel to another.]

Oliver Filippi