Re: [A/S] water heater trouble

Chris, thermocouple testers are manufactured but the cheapest and quickest
way is to replace it with a new one. If doesn't solve the problem you are
out a few bucks. Sounds to me as your control valve is bad as normally a bad
thermocouple will not let pilot light stay lit. The thermocouple is in line
so the valve knows that the pilot light is lit and when main gas opens it
will ignite and not fill the area full of explosive gas. I replaced the
entire gas train in my 68 Globetrotter hot wartier heater, but I ran a
plumbing shop for many years. I wouldn't recommend it for those who do not
know how the entire system works.

Good Luck Jim