Re: [A/S] Restored Airstreams

>SNIP
> I get it.  Could be they bought it with the intention of restoring
it and
> selling it... like flipping houses.
>
>SNIP

Hey Hunter! I get the selling part, it's the buying part I don't
get. A reasonable price for a reasonable restore is one thing, but
some of those prices for 50 year old trailers boggle the mind.

I guess I'm guilty of that old problem of thinking that everyone
else thinks the same as I do. Even though the world would be a
better place if everyone did agree with me.

I see from the weather center that Tok, AK is warming up; a high of
15 today. Time to start getting ready for another trip north.

We went a couple of years ago in September hoping to miss the
legendary mosquitoes and black flies, as well as the hordes of other
tourists. We caught the Alaska State Ferry in Bellingham, WA and
about 5 days later got off in Skagway, AK. The plan worked - very
few other tourists and no bugs. The RV parks all had available spots
with no advance reservations necessary. We went all over the state
and saw everything we wished to, although some things did start
shutting down around Sept. 15th. It started snowing when we were
leaving Fairbanks on the way home. We were planning to drive home on
the Alaska Highway, but we chickened out when it didn't look like
the snow was going to stop for awhile. We caught the ferry out of
Skagway and a day and a half later got off in Prince Rupert, BC for
the remainder of our trip home.

We want to go earlier this year, at the beginning of the season
rather than the end. Has anyone else done it early? And how soon is
it feasible to go? Cold is OK, snow is not. We're thinking May for a
departure.

By the way, if you haven't gone on the ferry north you ought to
consider it. It's a relaxing, informal atmosphere and they have
small private cabins for the trip. And if you're so inclined you can
camp on the upper decks of the ferry. Although on our trip the
camping was done by the younger crowd - sleeping bags on the deck
chairs and like that.

If you get off the ferry at any of the stops, be prepared to back on
when you reload to continue your journey north. Some of the smaller
ferries are side loaders and they make you back your trailer on. The
ferry workers are very good at directing you, but it can be nerve-
wracking if backing is not one of your strengths. One woman who had
to back up one of those  huge 40+ foot motorhomes summed it up very
well when she was told to back on - "Oh, Sh*t!".

Jim in Texas, Cypress that is