Re: [A/S] Suburban as tow behicle

Tina,
A suburban makes a fine tow vehicle under the right circumstances.

First, be sure and get the 2500 with the tow package, ideally it should
be the 8600 GVW model. If you get the vin and go to a chevy (or GMC)
dealer they can tell you just what the vehicle came with.

Second, go diesel, preferably 1997 or later for the upgraded cooling
capacity.

Third, I would strongly suggest 4 wheel drive. I know some people will
squak about that, but it's worth it the first time you don't have to
call a wrecker to get you out of a mucky campsite. It does not
significantly reduce your turning radius, our 4x4 'burb has an as good
or better turning radius than our 2x4 s-10.

Fourth, cargo. If you are planning to haul a lot of heavy things in the
back get a pickup with a topper. Loose cargo can easily kill you in a
wreck. Imagine having a bowling ball moving at 60 miles per hour hit
you in the head. For pets and light things like clothes, a 'burb is
nice because it's all inside.

Fifth, Pullrite or Hensley. Both good hitches, but the Hensley Arrow is
cheaper, and can be bought used. I priced a Pullrite for my 'burb last
month and it was over $3000 installed. A new Hensley is $2995 and you
can install it yourself. Pullrites are vehicle specific and it's hard
to find a used one for any particular model. I would still rather have
a pullrite, but I may have to settle for a Hensley.

Downsides:  Any 1994-96 GM diesel will require about $700 to $1000 in
upgrades to make it a good tow vehicle. A 97-up will require about $400
in upgrades. Specifically a remote mount injection module cooler, a
fuel pump relay, and on the pre-97 a cooling manifold upgrade. I would
also recommend a new receiver hitch if towing with a Hensley.

I do not know what, if any, modifications may have to be made to a
diesel Ford Excursion, not having one I have done no research into them.

I saw three on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Suburban-SLE-1994-GMC-K2500-4x4-6-5-TDI-Turbo-Diesel-NICE-LR_W0QQitemZ4609652873QQcategoryZ6247QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Suburban-LS-Rare-1995-Diesel-3-4-ton-4x4-Diesel-Suburban-in-Memphis_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6155QQitemZ4609450037QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Suburban-GMC-Suburban-turbo-diesel-not-Chevrolet-No-Reserve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6247QQitemZ4610595092QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Suburban-4x4-3-4-Ton-2500-Suburban-LT-6-5l-Turbo-Diesel-4X4-HD-3-4-ton_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6155QQitemZ4609746986QQrdZ1

Oh, yes, and take any fuel mileage claims with a grain of salt, I would
expect no better than 15mpg.

John