Re: [A/S] Soon - to - be - Owners of an Airstream

Linda,

Because I worked at an Airstream dealership (and still do occasionally)
I have had over the years chances to tow with both the Hensley and the
Equal-i-zer brand hitches. In my even darker past I've used Reese,
Eaz-Lift and Bock hitches. A fairly good sampling. I currently have
about 3,500 miles on Hensley's and well over 15,000 on my own
Equal-i-zer hitch.

My take on these hitches is not just as a consumer but also as a dealer
of the product. So things like dealer support, pricing, ease of use, and
the satisfaction of the customer using them.

In recent years the Equal-i-zer has become more popular with their
national distribution through several RV wholesalers and the popularity
of the "toy hauler's" . These toy hauler's carry literally a ton or more
of ATV's, motorcycles, bikes, etc., etc. Their hitch weight ratings and
wildly varying weights need a very stable hitch to tow with. The
Equal-i-zer does the job at a price the dealer can afford. Hensley's
choices regarding dealers and distribution significantly limits their
market visibility. The cost of a Hensley also limits it's appeal to a
selling dealer who often times includes a hitch in the deal. Please
don't take me to task about a dealers choices, I am simply telling you
how it works in this area.

 From my own experience the Hensley does exactly what they say it will.
Once properly installed and hooked up it is like towing on rails. The
Intermountain region in which I live provides plenty of opportunities to
test any hitch. My concerns about their choices in advertising aside the
draw backs are cost, roughly 6 times most other options ($3000). Weight,
250lbs or so of dead hitch weight takes a big chuck out of the Cargo
Weight Capacity of any trailer, as much as 25%.  And ease of use.

There are several "tricks" that make hooking easier which, at least in
the past, were not included in the directions from Hensley. Of course
the many Hensley owners in this chat group have "been there, done that"
and will be glad to share as will I.

 Our dealerships first introduction to the Hensley was during the 1998
International when a customer brought his coach in for service. Because
he needed to do other things he unhooked and left. When he came back his
wife came into the service department while he went out to hook up.
After a warning from her to stay away from him during the process we
were witness to 45 minutes of frustration, swearing, slamming his truck
into the hitch, and an amazing amount of anger at a "superior" product.
He still liked the hitch just not the hook up.

Turns out after a few hard learned lessons of my own I knew he had not
dropped the rear jack assy. to their lowest point. Unique to the Hensley
when hooking up is the need to be correct up and down, left and right
but have the correct tilt angle. The hitch bar must be very nearly at
exactly the same tilt angle as the hitch for it to hook up.

After several years of occasional chances to use the Hensley I was
introduced to the Equal-i-zer hitch. Very simple, priced comparable to
most other hitches. OK, so I gave it a try, on my dime.

At the time I was towing a 1976 22' Argosy. The first opportunity to
"check it out" was when returning from a wedding across a broad area of
farm land. It wasn't until I passed a field with loose dirt blowing
directly across the road that I realized I was towing with a very heavy
side wind. I had not felt anything when other vehicles passed,
disturbing the wind pressure. Several weeks later I was towing on the
Interstate when a truck in hurry came past me. Seeing him coming I
loosened my grip on the steering wheel to see what effect there would
be. Honestly, I felt almost none.

At that time a came to the opinion, based on my experience with both
hitches that the Equal-i-zer provided nearly identical performance with
much less weight and cost. It is to this day my hitch of choice. The
hitch directions talk about keeping two bolts torqued to at least 45
lbft. When the hitch is new with fresh paint this needs to be done
usually before each use. After some number of uses the paint is pushed
out and the bolts hold their setting for quite a long time. While it is
true the paint doesn't hold up as well as other's it gives you another
excuse to do an annual inspection and service on the hitch system,
truck, trailer, and hitch. One word of wisdom, don't try using spray
graphite on the hitch, use only the grease recommended. While graphite
does seem to work nicely as a ball lubricant it works to well on the hitch.

Charlie