Re: [A/S] Question about a 1968 20' Globetrotter

> > And each time I did it I cussed the designer
> > who thought it would be nice to have the door open into the wind
> > rather than the other way - duh...
>
>*********************************
><SNIP>
>
>Will locking the entry door (which we always do, anyway) prevent this from
>happening?
>
>Linda

No. I have had the door open on two different Airstream trailers. I
think both times I was in Alaska on rough roads. I don't remember the
details of the first time this happened, but the second was in 2001
with my present trailer. It is the '91 special edition, which has an
electronic deadbolt lock. This lock is the same as is used on Ford
automobiles of that era, and does not extend as far in when locked as
a conventional deadbolt. It is great to lock/unlock (no keys), but
not as secure as is really needed. Some trailer frame flexing on
those Alaska roads allowed it to open completely.

Before starting back from that Alaska trip, I installed a little
sliding latchbolt outside near the bottom of the door. Now when I
expect to travel over really rough roads, I slide this latch closed.
The door has never opened again - maybe the latch stopped it, or
maybe I just never stressed it that much again.

The latch I added is similar to:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ur1mbu45roojpy45ieb3jsri)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=5198973

Jerry 4404