Re: [A/S] Optima batteries...

Hi Jim,
The old univolt was not designed to charge modern AGM batteries
like the Optima.  I have 4 Sun Extenders, group 27, 105 Amp hour
AGM batteries that are similar to Optimas.  They are charged by
3 75 watt solar panels and a Solar Boost 2000E charge controller
when the sun shines and my 2000 watt Xantrex inverter is also a
100 amp multistage charger.  Make sure you turn off any equalize
function on any charger that you use to charge AGM batteries.

Sorry I don't have any experience with Optima brand batteries.
Since AGM batteries are sealed they can be mounted inside the
trailer.  Two of my Sun Extenders fit in the original battery boxes
and the other two are inside under the couch.

If you are going to spend the money for AGMs I think you should
get a good modern charger to go with them.  It would be a shame
to ruin $300 worth of batteries trying to save about $150 that a
good charger would cost.  I have been told that with proper care
AGMs will last as long as 10 years.  Be sure that an charger you
buy has a setting for AGM batteries, they're not like car batteries.

Good luck with your project,

Tony KC9BTA
WBCCI 6373
In N Texas