RE: [A/S] Keeping batteries charged

Hi Judy,
All the folks have had good answers to your problem, but I feel one good
solution has been understated. That is the instillation of a single solar
panel just for the purpose of keeping the batteries charged in storage. I
had your problem when I purchased my trailer in 2000. I must keep it is a
storage lot that does not have any power available, and the batteries were
always dead when I went to get the trailer. This practice will kill any
battery on the market today after a short number of cycles of extended
periods of being totally dead, then recharging. I put in two new Optima
batteries (AGM Technology Batteries) and a 50 watt solar panel mounted on
the roof. (cost was about $500 for the 50 watt panel and a controller that
will handle 350 watts of panels) I have never had dead batteries after
extended storage sense. I do not turn off the main switch when I put the
unit in storage, just because it is not necessary. The small amount of
charging and discharging that takes place when the solar panel is not
producing then charging during the day could be healthy for the batteries.
As a side statement, I would install the largest output solar panel I could
get (100 watts for the Semen's Panel I have) if I was doing this now. The
reason is the cost of the controller and the instillation would be the same,
therefore the relatively small up charge for the bigger panel would be the
only up charge. The extra output would come in handy if you ever needed to
extend your boondocking for a day or two. I don't know how you plan to use
your trailer, but the ability to boondock for a few days now and then WILL
turn up. A good example is going on caravans is one of the best parts of
Airstreaming in my opinion, but some caravans will require 2 or 3 days of
boondocking now and then. This is usually because of lack of full hookup
campsites in places we go during peak travel season it the areas we want to
visit. The extra capacity will not cause any problem during normal storage
and use.

A little learning on my part about battery usage that could help someone
else is the Refrigerator. Most people turn the unit off during storage, so
there is no problem there. The fridge has a function that helps keep the
frost level in the freezer down. It works like the automatic defrost in the
home fridge. The heat cycle of this process will kill your batteries at
least one day earlier than necessary if used while boondocking. There is a
small switch usually in the top front of the freezer compartment that turns
off this function. You will not notice the difference for two or three days
of time, but keep it on if you are on shore power - it does keep the frost
build away.

Joe Scudder
34' Limited that goes on 1 or 2 Caravans each year, but does not like to
boondock