Re: [A/S] Re: honda grounding

In a moment of wild intelligence, I got out my Honda Generator
instruction book

p. 18 " Honda portable generators have a system ground that connects
generator frame components to the ground terminals in the AC output
receptacles.  The system ground is not connected to the AC neutral wire.
If the gereator is tested by a receptacle tester, it will not show show
same ground circuit condition as for a home receptacle.  "

Perhaps this is what has lead to tinkering

p. 14 " Ground Terminal- The generator ground terminal is connected to
the frame of the generator, the metal, no-current carrying parts of the
generator, and the ground terminals of each receptacle.  Before using
the ground terminal, consult a qualified electircian, electrical
inspector or local agency having jurisdiction for local codes or
ordinances that apply the the intended use of the generator."

and a picture of a screw set in a square terminal plate on the bottom of
the plug panel

I guess I thought it held the case on...... duh

It sounds to me as though the generator relies on the ground of any
system it is plugged into in regular use, and since the ground of say a
house or trailer might differ ,  there is no one answer to the question.

and on p. 16 " The AC circuit protector will automatically switch OFF if
there is a short circuit or significant overload of the generator at the
AC recetacles.  If the circuit protector......."

So, for the sake of discussion, right now I am in a State Park in SC,
still hitched up, so my jack , safety chains etc are not touching the
ground.  I am plugged into the 20AMP box with my normal  three prong
extension chord.  ( and I confess I did not test the outlet first...
been here twice before... no excuse )
I am assuming that the CG hook up is my ground, since the truck and
trailer are sitting on their tires. I should add that my '73 trailer
does not have any GFI's on it

How safe am I ? Besides the circuit test ( I promise to to better ) is
there more I should do ? Like maybe drop a safety chain for the night ?

Daisy ( alone in the woods in lovely Poinsettt State Park, Sumpter SC )