Re: [A/S] Hurricane Rita

I went over to Home Depot this pm  to buy a generator, some water cans - 5 gal
plastic and a couple of 5 gal gas cans, box fans...  guess what?  All the Home
Depot and the Lowes stores in Houston were stripped of just about anything along
that line and it all was shipped to NOLA to restock all the  stores..  half the
population of each store in town was sent to stock, clean up, and reopen the
stores.   I waited 3 hours for a truck to bring in 7 generators to Orange Box
from a distro center... Coleman Power Craft or somesuch  6500 and 7200s.  13 of
us were waiting.

Was hoping for a 5500 to use for teh airstream.  I already have a 7kw in the
Conex in teh backyard.  will not use this 7200 ($579) unless we really lose
lights and so on  and we usually do every time we have a heavy windstorm.
It throws the knife switch/breaker on the pole behind teh neighbors house.
Anyway, all I really need is enough to run the freezer, fridge and a couple of
window units.  3 to 5kw should handle that and be perfect to carry along on a
front hitch mount to run the trailer.

point is, panic is hitting this town already   all the newbies are running
around and screaming that the sky is falling....  no batteries, flashlights, not
much propane gas cans (those 2lb cylinders that you screw your stove or lantern
onto), no gas or water cans, etc....

sigh

Now I am wondering if I am going to lose my VHF/UHF/HF mast/antennas.  but then,
the old song is, if your antennas/mast are still up in the Spring then you had
either of two problems... either not enough antennas on your mast or the mast
was not high enough.<G>

anyway, relax, get off the island, get yourself up to Hempstead or Columbus,
etc... lots of good RV camps in both locations.

no need to go very far ... just get about 100miles off the coast.

cheers
chas  Spring Branch, Houston since 1975