Re: [A/S] Generator Transfer Switch

> Has anyone had any experience with a generator transfer switch? To be
> more specific, I am wondering about running an Airstream a/c with a
> Honda EU2000i generator, which puts out 1600 watts (13.3 amps)
> continuous. I had in mind a switch so that the a/c could be started on
> shore power -- with plenty of power available for the starting load --
> then switched over to the genny after it is running. Does anyone have
> any experience with or opinions about this plan?

In order for this to work two things must happen.  Your a.c. compressor
must have enough inertia to "coast" through the transfer time, which it
probably doesn't, and more importantly your generator would have to be
very closely in synch with the shore power.  Transferring  a rotating
motor onto a power source significantly out of phase will blow fuses
and eventually damage the motor and probably the generator in this
case.  So you won't have any success trying to accomplish this.

> In the same vein -- I know some of you run two EU2000i gennys coupled
> together. After the a/c starts, can you shut one of the gennys off and
> have the a/c continue to run on just one?

This would probably work.  You'll likely have to start the second
generator each time the a.c. cycles.  How about using the "Eco
Throttle" on both gennys and leave them both run?