[A/S] Thermostat Update and instalation

Hello all

Thank you Hunter and others who recommended the Hunter   <g>  brand heat and
A/C digital thermostat from Wally world. It was  just under $20.00. It was a
bit fun trying to figure which wire went where  considering that the owners
manual for my 79 and service manual said the wires  going to the thermostat were
different colors than what was actually  there!

If anyone else is replacing their two thermostats I highly recommend going
to this all in one.

Here is how the wires went for me.
First remove the jumper wire they have in place between terminals Rh and  Rc.
Then take one of the two wires that went to the heaters thermostat ,  attache
one to the Rh and the other to the W terminal. It doesn't matter which  wire
goes to which terminal.

For the ac, here is what I did. I have an Armstrong A/C unit. Turn it to  low
Fan at the overhead controls on the AC. Then, in my case there were three
wires, simply keep touching one wire to one other until you here the compressor
kick on, now those two wires control the units compressor. The third wire,
well,  it doesn't seem to do anything. It might be there for a fan relay that
some  units have, but since the fan controls are right on the AC unit itself in
the  case of the Armstrong this third wire is not needed. I just trimmed it
and taped  it.

Now Connect one of the two wires you have isolated that kick the compressor
on to the Rc terminal and the other to the Y terminal.

Its now done! Put the cover back on and test the unit. I did that,  switching
from heat and then to A/C, made sure they both worked , and when the  desired
temperature was reached, each unit shutoff as it should.

Hope this helps any who wish to upgrade to a digital Thermostat.

Jonathan  Michaels
1979 31' Airstream International Sovereign
1985 E- 350 Club Wagon  ( supped up!)