[A/S] Re: Roof Climbing

We learned our lesson on "the myth" of Airstream roof structures the
hard and expensive way when we had to repair two dents we put in the
roof of a client's 1965 Safari while replacing the A/C unit. From
then on we stood behind our work...rather than on it!

Walking carfully in soft soled shoes is not much of an issue. Have a
200# HVAC mechanic get down on his knees and try to lift anything
else as he works, he WILL make dents. If the load is applied near a
seam it is possible to make dents that stretch the aluminum skin
enough to lift it between the rivets in the seam. I have heard,
under my own carefully placed 190# feet, the "popping" of the
aluminum panels as they returned to flat from the edge of the
plastic limits of the material.

Yes, you can STAND a string of people up there. Evenly distributed
static loads are not much of an issue. The example of thiry 200# men
equates to a load of only 25 lbs per square foot when evenly
distributed through the structure which is a simple arch supported
by a half arch on each end.

In addition to avoiding all potential of deforming the skin, the
other advantage of using the bridge is that there is a greatly
reduced risk of someone having some kind of metal filing or stone in
a shoe that could scratch the polished surface or through the clear
coat.

We have repaired several units that have had 2 to 3 feet of snow
piled up on them which deformed the skin and structural members.
Flat roof, wood framed trailers, of course, faired less well and we
have had them through the shop, too. The Airstreams were 100%
repairable and well worth it. The others had only about 50%
economical repair rate and that was sometimes questionable. The
Airstream is the best value.

When buying a used trailer check the fit of the lateral walls to the
outside walls. If they do not fit tight, make sure someone checks
out the roof. We have found a high degree of correlation of a poor
fit at the wall juctions or wavy ceiling panels and trim to damaged
roofs. As the roof is pushed down the exterior walls push out and
away from the interior walls often breaking the rivets on the
connecting angle.

Don't get me wrong, I think Airstream is the best built unit there
is today. They are infinitely more repairable when damage occurs.
They are more durable in the long run but they have their fragile
side too. For the crew at this shop, we'll stick with the bridge, no
risk of damage and the ability to move quickly about our work.

Brett Hall
TimelessTravelTrailers.com
303-432-3819