RE: [A/S] Campground in the Richmond, VA area?

You may want to change your mind about the electrical hookup.  30 amps to
run an air conditioner would be very useful.

Many years ago, I spent a summer at Fort Lee, VA (30 miles south of
Richmond) when I was stationed there as a young 2Lt. in the Quartermaster
Corps.

I tried every summer uniform (even the Bermuda Shorts one) in an effort to
handle the heat and humidity.

I used to describe the climate as 90 degrees, 90 percent humidity, 90
percent of the time!

Bottom line, Richmond, Williamsburg, and environs get very hot and muggy
during late July and August.

Nevertheless, be sure to check out Yorktown (the first English settlement),
Colonial Williamsburg, Kitty Hawk in North Carolina, Virginia Beach, etc.

If you are going to Washington, DC, you might want to check the new
Smithsonian Aerospace museum at Dulles Airport in Chantilly, VA.

Even more interesting (to me, anyway)is the Smithsonian's Graber Restoration
Facility in Suitland, MD (near Rockvile - about 30 miles north of
Washington) where they restore the planes before putting them on display.
When I was there in 1993, they were restoring the Enola Gay (and had most of
it apart).  To tour Graber, you have to make reservations in advance (just
call them, Graber is in the phone book), and an old WW II pilot will
typically take you through.

One of the planes there was a Japanese Kamikaze trainer (the only one that
survived).  It was a sea plane designed to fit into a torpedo tube of a
submarine (the wings and tail folded).  The plane was intended to bomb the
Panama Canal or drop Anthrax on San Diego! (The Japanese secretly tested
militarized anthrax on the Chinese, and found it very effective - killing
thousands.)

I'm sure glad the Manhattan Project worked.

Oliver Filippi