[A/S] Popping Rivets?

Hey Kevin,

Bottom line -- Replacing the rivets solves only the symptom portion of
the problem. The real problem is still waiting to be fixed.

-- AND -- in my humble opinion, it will only get worse until you find
the real problem.

Start with the easy stuff first, i.e. balancing the tires, correcting
weight distribution, or etc., etc..

The hard things to fix are limited but may require considerable
detective work -- and gobs of time and energy.

For example, we have a '67 22' Safari that never popped a rivet until I
added a second battery next to first one - behind the street side wheel
well.

Final diagnosis boiled down to a broken stringer under the battery
compartment. Two days later after dropping the belly pan, finding the
broken stringer, welding a patch to the stringer and frame, replacing
the belly pan and crossing my fingers, the problem was fixed.

Little did I know at the time, but the fix was temporary. The broken
stringer had been broken long enough to impact other components of the
frame and body shell. That soon became evident. A frame separation
problem doesn't require detective work to know what needs to be done.

Coincidentally, we were in Idaho at the time and knew Ace Fogdall had a
frame repair expert on staff.  Another two days later and more green
resulted in a professionally elegant fix that is still permanent two
years and thousands of miles later.

Why do I mention all this?

My wife and I wanted every single mechanical detail repaired, restored
or replaced before we'd polish the Airstream to a mirror shine. Only
until that was done, would we be satisfied with our restoration.

It has been two years now since the mirror shine - after many years of
working toward this goal. Finally, everything about our restoration of
this Airstream pleases us - greatly.  Those few words in the last
sentence are nowhere near describing the satisfaction we feel.

Popping rivets were the final cue we needed to reach this point in our
restoration.

Terry