Re: [A/S] towing an Airstream off road

How much hard western 4-wheeling have you done so far? And in what?

I take it that you mean "limited-slip" not locking in the rear
differential? These GM "Positraction" differentials are next to useless
for off-road use (on-road too for that matter.)

While I haven't driven this particular trail, I did grab some photos of
others making the trip, and I have driven *lots* of tough western 4x4
trails. I could make it easily in my bobtail off-road vehicle, but I'd
hesitate to take a bobtail full-size 4x4 truck over the route based on
what I could see. You probably won't have enough clearance, and you
don't have low enough gearing on your stock rig, and probably not enough
articulation, not to mention not having at least one decent locker (two
is better unless you relish rolling backwards out of control because you
discover that your open diffed or Posi equipped 4x4 is really a 2x4 when
one or more wheel is in the air.) Of course the shots I saw might have
been optional obstacles and have had bypasses around them, but still,
you're not going to have a short turning radius, will probably
high-center the truck and the trailer, and in all likelihood have a huge
towing and repair bill.

I'd park close and do the trail bobtail if you think your particular
truck is up to it. If I was going to try to take the trailer, I'd do it
bobtail all the way through first and then see if I thought I could make it.

>>I know Wally took his Airstream over some pretty bad roads years ago, but he
>>was a part of the "Factory Team."

The older designs were a lot more rugged as far as cabinet and furniture
mounting as compared to some of the newer trailers.

>I might be crazy, but boondocking in a 25' Airstream is a lot more appealing
>>to this geriatric than pitching a tent.

When it comes to western off-roading just because your vehicle is a 4x4
does not mean you're driving something appropriate for the trail. Some
are so easy almost anything can make it even 2wd, most need
high-clearance, good articulation, at lease one real locker, about a 4:1
reduction on the transfer case, and a short wheelbase to make it. Stick
preferred, at *least* a 5-speed.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060