Re: [A/S] Carrier AC new pics

Don,

Many thanks for your effort on the Carrier. My installation went very well,
but I was not replacing an existing unit so it was a bit different. It seems
to me that if you drain the Carrier it never allows enough water to build up
for the "slinger" to work. I have now been running it off and on for several
hour periods in very humid weather this last week in Dallas with no drain
line and no dripping down the side of the trailer! The "slinger" does seem
to work if you let it. The early 60's Avion I was installing in does not
have as much of a roof curve as an Airstream and I was able to use longer
screws for the inside cover, add an extra layer of foam weather-strip to the
inside ribs it rests on and use good cloth covered weather-strip to cover
the little bit of a gap I ended up with at each end.

Cutting a new hole in the roof and fabricating the support for the A/C
sounded formidable but actually was pretty easy
http://www1.eboard.com/boards/0/43/78/Madrones_Madness/att-1003171/hole.jpg

Avions had a factory roof coat of "KoolSeal" 45 years ago, mine had never
been recoated, so a roof job was called for before covering with the A/C
unit

http://www1.eboard.com/boards/0/43/78/Madrones_Madness/att-1003173/hole3.jpg

Fishing wiring past a number of internal wall ribs seemed impractical. But
surface mounting through the closet and kitchen cabinets left a run of just
a few inches to reach the unit.

http://www1.eboard.com/boards/0/43/78/Madrones_Madness/att-1005668/Carrier.jpg

Finished installation came out pretty good for a 45 year old trailer and
amateur labor!

http://www1.eboard.com/boards/0/43/78/Madrones_Madness/att-1005665/Carrier_003.jpg

Steve