[A/S] Towing capacity

Chuck,

My thoughts used to run along similar lines to your comment. The
operative words are " used to."
It took one fish tail experience early in my towing career to convince
me our '75 Mercury Wagon (460CID V8 w/tow pkg) was the cat's meow for
towing. Skimping on the tow vehicle is not my idea of rational thinking
for family safety.

Since those early years, I've wanted each of our tow vehicles to be
strongly capable of flawlessly handling our Airstream with ease and
agility under any circumstance. That's a tall order. Our 3/4 ton Van
(460 CID V8 w/ tow pkg) does that with our 32' Airstream.

If you've been reading this list lately, you'll know I've recently been
towing one of our smaller Airstreams ('67 22') with a less than optimal
tow vehicle ('87 Suburban 6.2L diesel). That vehicle is pleasantly
comfortable, dependable, handsome to look at, handles well (rock
solid), is trouble free, the a/c works and it's economical (23 mpg
solo).  Many owners would say this tow vehicle is good enough. My
opinion: "Good enough Isn't."

When towing with the Suburban, I miss the confident feeling of knowing
the truck is in full control of the Airstream. I know there is no
reserve towing capacity. That's blatantly evident on the Interstates
with the 18 wheelers and their inevitable - whooosh - as they fly by
going up hills. If I were to press down on the accelerator, the ONLY
thing to happen is the engine would make more noise.

Towing with the Suburban is no where near as much fun as with our other
tow vehicles. I could sell the Suburban today (there's a line) but it's
worth more to me than to any buyer - plus it's fun to drive solo. And -
my wife likes that deep throaty growl of the diesel's dual exhausts.
Not! <grin>

Terry