Re: [A/S] International Rally and Club Reorganization - Jim Franklin

Hello!

I'm new to the list and have been following it for about a month or
so. My family just bought a new-to-us '76 Safari which we have been
working on and making plans for (when it's not snowing here in New
England -- sheeesh!) We have joined WBCCI and I'm looking forward to
meeting many of you.

I've been watching the discussion on the TQ contest and thought I'd
add a newcomers perspective. I'm the mom of 3 girls (3,7, and 26)
and a former Girl Scout leader. Our reasons for getting the
Airstream were to be able to travel and spend time with our family
and show the girls our beautiful country.

I have to agree with Hunter on the TQ contest, and I also agree with
the person (sorry but I'm getting confused by all the new names) who
believes we need to keep youth activities and interests to retain
new membership. I'm not so much offended by the TQ contest as I am
embarrassed that this kind of thing continues today. There are so
many other activities for our young women to be involved in than
beauty and talent contests. My girls have outdoors interests. Are
there any youth hiking and camping clubs within WBCCI? Any nature
clubs among all those kids that spend their time visiting the
National Parks? A junior level computer club? Young artists clubs?
Junior level WBCCI volunteers for charity work? Does the WBCCI
sponsor a scholarship fund for youth interested in design and
engineering of Airstreams? Do we foster apprenticeship programs for
young people interested in getting into businesses that support
Airstreaming, like RV service, finishing, repair, or technical
support? It seems to me that we can come up with something to keep
youth actively engaged without the TQ contest. But if it continues,
we'll likely not be promoting it with our girls.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded in the first post. You all seem
like a great group of people and I look forward to hanging out with
you sometime at a rally.

-Jamie, WBCCI #4728