[A/S] Cell Phone Internet Connection

Hi Bob,
I have Alltel as my cell phone provider, but the process should be the same
from the point you say you have gotten with your cell phone. I just went
through this process "in spades". I got a new phone along with the software
and cable to connect my laptop and use the setup to get on line. I ran
through the process of plugging in the phone to the USB port, and putting
the CD in the drive on the laptop. I followed the "wizard" on screen to set
up the "dial up connection" (which you must have whether you use your cell
phone or the land line phone - you also need a similar file if you use a
"High Speed Modem" - all these files can be seen in your "control Panel"
screen under "Network Connections"). I about fell over when it worked the
first time I tried to get on line. The process took me all of 10 minutes to
setup. Two weeks later my hard drive crashed, and after having to replace it
two times, I finally got around to reloading the cell phone setup. I spent
15 or 20 hours off and on trying to get the setup to work. I talked to my
local Alltel office two times, called the Alltel help line, and the phone
MFG (LG) help line with no results. I finally decided I could figure this
out my self. After much digging around in the "files" and "ports" on my
laptop, I figured out the cell phone Modem was on "Com Port 5" and the
Software was only looking at "COM Port 6" to make the connection. I finally
got them on the same Com Port and all is working again. The speed is 14K for
the Cell Phone, and usually 56K for a land line phone. That means it will
take about 4 times as long to download stuff on the cell phone connection as
it does on a regular dial up connection on a land line - I have no idea how
much slower that is compared to the "Warp Speed" of DSL or Cable
Connections.
It sounds like you only need to run the "Set UP Wizard" to set up your "dial
up Connection" file then, as Hunter said, follow the directions on how to
click on your phone connection software ICON to get on line.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624