Re: [A/S] Digest Number 2396

You paid the sales tax in Florida because you registered it in Florida, and
Florida charges the tax to everybody.  If it is not paid somewhere else, it
is charged by Florida.   In fact, if you pay less than a certain percentage
of the "blue book" value for a vehicle in Florida they will send you a bill
for the difference that they think the tax ought to be plus penaltys that
amount to several times that.  Then you have to find the seller again and
fill out and sign forms proving that you paid what you said to start with.
A dealer can lie on the bill of sale all he wants to, and they will not
challenge it, but if they don't like the individual's sale price, they will.

I bought my first motorhome in Georgia from an individual, registered it in
Georgia, paid no sales tax.

I bought my second motorhome in Alabama from an individual, registered it in
Georgia, paid no sales tax.

Traded that one for a trailer with an individual from Illinois, registered
it in Georgia, paid no sales tax.

If you had been an Georgia resident when you bought it and had registered it
in Georgia, you would have paid no sales tax.  If I am remembering
correctly, a few years ago the Govenor decided to collect sales tax from
individual sales.  It was taken to court and they had to give the money back
to the ones who had paid it.

The only state I personally know of that will charge sales tax on a vehicle
that you already own and have paid sales tax on is Indiana.  You have to own
one for a certain length of time when you move it into Indiana, or they will
charge sales tax on it again.  The dealers there got the state to pass that
law because so many of the Kentuckians would go back home (When I lived
there I was told that a Housier was a Kentuckian who didn't have enough
money to get to Detroit :) to buy  their cars and trucks, and the Indiana
dealers were losing sales because of it.

Neal
'89 Squarestream
Hiawassee, GA