Re: [A/S] cleaning drapery Just a note.

Now I'm replying to my own emails.
Just out of curiosity, I called our local Disaster Kleenup International rep
and asked him about cleaning drapes.

They clean premises that have been subjected to soot from fires, water
damage, you name it.

First of all if you send the drapes to a dry cleaner, the dry cleaner will
"read the label" as to how it's to be cleaned. If it is washable, it goes in
the wash with detergent and water. If it is "dry clean only" , it goes in
the washer with dry cleaning fluid. Both processes involve agitation.

The most gentle way of cleaning drapes, he says, is to hand wash in gentle
detergent in cold water. Rinse thoroughly, and hang to dry without wringing
out.

The symptoms we are observing, he says, are due to the effect of
ultra-violet rays from the sun on the drapery material. Also, because they
hang in folds, the exposed edges break down before the parts in the depth of
the fold and they will look like someone slashed them as the sun weakens the
exposed edge and this disintegrates on washing.

Best method to protect the drapes is to use blinds on the windows,
especially in storage where they get to hang in one position for a long
time. This lessens the effects of ultraviolet light on the drapery material.

It never ends!
Sarge