[A/S] Re: mold (was 4WD)

Hi Hunter-

When we picked up our trailer from the seller- a great couple in
Indiana, who insisted they had no idea it was leaking- my allergies
went nuts. I assumed it was because the coach needed a major cleaning
(nice folks aren't always the cleanest it turns out..). In the process
of tearing out the 25 year old orange shag carpet, we discovered a few
rotten spots in the plywood sub floor. Job 1 was to find the leaks.
They were primarily at window openings, but also light penetrations and
skin seams. One bit of plywood needed to be patched; most just needed
to be firmed up. I learned about epoxy hardener on Tom P's VA list.
Bought some of the Minwax wood hardener (essentially the same stuff and
much easier to work with- though it does have a strong chemical odor),
and went through two cans of it. This after being sure I had fixed the
source of the leaks, and allowed the plywood to thoroughly dry out. The
wood hardener really did the job; if there were any viable mold spores
left alive in there, the hardener surely killed 'em. After replacing
the carpet with cork, all the upholstery, and all the valance fabric
and curtains, my allergy symptoms have completely gone away.

Did I answer your question?

Hope all is well in sunny (?) FLA,

Chris K.
1979 31' Int'l Sov.