Re: [A/S] Horsepower/Torque/Cubic Inches/Compression Ratios

Richard,

I am aware of the various relationships you state, I was being sarcastic
because I get upset when those types of comments are made. Some time
ago someone said that the Dodge Dakota was too small to be a good tow
vehicle and the crew cab Dakota has a 131" wheelbase, the same as my
W200 and 4" longer than the Lincoln.

One additional factor in the horsepower reduction was the conversion
from gross HP to net HP in about 1971 (reduction of about 40% when
combined with the reduced compression ratios at the same time).

You are correct, I have the 460 4V, it is a 49 state car because in 1977
only the 400 was available in California. What I really like about the
Lincoln is the 365 lb-ft of torque at 2000 RPM about 60 MPH, I can use
cruise control on the freeway and not drop speed when I reach most
grades, unlike the high RPM torque cars of today.

The newer vehicles have increasing horsepower due to all of the
electronics which can do wonders to horsepower and still keep the
emissions down, also the intake and exhaust systems.

Do you use the Ford and Mercury to tow? and are you ever in So Cal?
There is a great Ford event the middle of April at Knotts Berry Farm
with over 2000 Ford vehicles. Also I have heard that a Vintage event is
being planned for June in Grants Pass, OR.

As the saying goes "There is no substitute for cubic inches."

Bill Kerfoot
WBCCI/VAC #5223
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon
1977 Lincoln Continental