Re: [A/S] Re: tv connection

The wall socket that you are describing was used for 300-ohm balanced
ribbon cable.

Your current TV set probably has the now standard 75-ohm unbalanced "F"
connector.

You could go about making an adapter several ways...

1 - Remove the wall plate and install a 300-ohm balanced to 75-ohm
un-balanced adapter. These are called baluns (BALanced to UN-balanced).
These adapters are available with pigtails and could be soldered to the
existing 300-ohm cable, and then attached to a wall plate with an "F81"
connector via a short RG-59 coax pigtail and hidden in the wall behind
the plate. (An F81 is an "F" bulkhead connector made for mounting in a
plate hole and is threaded on both ends. It comes with mounting nuts to
mount into the plate.)

2 - Get a set of multimeter test lead pin connectors. These were the
same size as the old 300-ohm pins were as I recall. Solder one of the
insulated connectors to each of the wires in a 300-ohm jumper and use an
external balun on the rear of the TV set. The original connector was a
Plexiglas connector with two pins molded in. There was generally a pair
of set-screws to attach the wire ends of the 300-ohm ribbon cable going
to the TV set. Using the separate pins won't hurt reception, though it
isn't as elegant as the correct connector.

3 - Search out an old TV shop, someone who was around for a while and
see if they have any of the old connectors in stock.

4 - Try this link:

http://www.autospeed.com/shop/category_1968/browse.html?ecomsvr=9999991009

There is a photo of the connector I believe you are looking for.

Get the plug and run a short 300-ohm ribbon cable jumper to the rear of
the set where you connect the ribbon cable to a balun.

If it were me, I'd make the adapter and hide it in the wall behind the
plate.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060