Re: [A/S] Trauma on I-40

Hi Gang,

Well things have settled back down after the heart stopping blow out on
I-40.  I'm still here at the Escapee Park just north of Knoxville.

Before I say anymore I want to thank you to all the people who wrote me
telling me, on and off list, how glad they were that we were okay. It really
meant a lot to me. I won't reply to each one on list.... just know I'm grateful.

What was I thinking having a blow out in Tennessee? This state has the
highest sales tax you can find..... sheesh.

The morning after the incident I spoke to a Firestone claims guy about the
damage to my truck.... it'll probably need a whole new quarter panel.  The guy
was nice and is sending me the paperwork to file the claim.  He told me no
matter what to hang on to the tire and take photos of the incident, which I
did yesterday on I-40. (I was upset, but not too upset to cover my bases)

He also said to go to a Firestone store and it will be up to the manager's
discretion but they should do something for me to replace the recalled tires.
Yes, recalled.

I went. The manager said he couldn't do anything about the price of new
tires.  The reason? Because I've spoken to Firestone and now it's in the legal
department.... that's a crock. I couldn't swap the tires because they were
recalled off Excursions.
I bought the tires from someone when he bought an Excursion and he didn't
want Firestones. If I had an Excursion I could have gotten new tires. Oh well,
I still wanted them off the truck.

Then he said he'd sell me new Michelins and "comp" me mounting and stems.
That would save me $50.00 ...big whoop. Total would be $836.00 out the door. I
blanched at that number so he tried to sell me more Firestones saying that
Firestone and Ford had kissed and made up and *all* the Ford trucks at the
dealership were sporting Firestones again.

I said I wanted to go have lunch and think about it....I drove up the road
to the Ford dealer and checked out all the new trucks. The only Firestones I
saw on the lot were the ones on my truck. The new Fords had Generals, Parellis
and Goodriches.

I asked the Ford dealer how much out the door for the same Michelins the
Firestone guy had quoted me $836.00..... with no "comps" no specials deals they
were $812.00.

So, the Firestone guy lied not only about not being able to do anything
because I had filed a claim ("It's a legal issue now") and Ford being back in bed
with Firestone, but his "special deal" was a crock.  I got the tires from
Ford.  Also got a free lunch from a guy waiting for his new truck to get
service <g>

Needless to say I'm over Firestone.  I doubt they will pay for my truck
damage, but we'll see. They might surprise me.

On a happier note, my friends Cliff and Marie arrived at the campground
yesterday afternoon. They listened to my bizarre stories of the summer and told
me what they've been up to and where they've been.

I took Marie to get dog food yesterday because we both needed it. I refused
to go into the store though, because they sell puppies. I never buy anything
from any store that sells puppies. So, I have to go back out today and drive
into West Knoxville to find a Petsmart.

It's nice here; you may remember it's the place where I stayed last spring
that has the cardio walk up the mountain.  The dogs love to run in the woods
while I struggle up the hills.  I've met some really nice people. Get this;
one RV has been empty since I arrived.  I asked about it and was told the man
got very ill and the wife couldn't drive their Freightliner and pull the fifth
wheel. Their son flew in but he had no clue how to drive it either.  Total
strangers who were parked two rigs away said they didn't want him trying to
drive that big a unit so they are driving the whole rig back to Texas for them!
The husband is driving the Freightliner and trailer and the wife is driving
their truck so they'll have a way to get back here. Isn't that just the
nicest thing!

It's very hot and very humid here... my a/c is running 24/7.  The leaves had
started to change in West Virginia, up in the mountains.  Here they are all
still green.

Hunter

http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm