RE: [A/S] Metal Valve Stems

Quite honestly David it wasn't till later I found out
about the metal stem issue.  My 27' '01 Safari had the
rubber stems and I wondered why they used them when
the 65 lb. limit put those stems on the edge.

Obviously A/S is aware now and as you noted the
heavier trailers do have the metal stems today.  Since
they use the same size tires on many trailer lengths
the issue becomes whether you need to run 65 lbs. or
not.  In retrospect I independently weighed each wheel
of the Safari and based on its normal traveling load,
and found I could have reduced the pressure in the
tires based on the Goodyear load inflation chart.
65lbs. was not necessary in this instance.

Now my Classic slide out is a different story and I do
need to carry that pressure.  I guess the answer here
is you either replace the stems, or weigh your trailer
and figure out whether you can safely reduce pressure
below 65 lbs.  That can provide the cushion necessary
to protect those stems.

In weighing the trailer you need to consider load and
weigh each wheel independently.  I noticed that on the
Safari one of the curb side wheels was carrying
100-150 lbs. more weight than the others.  I'll have
to see if I still have the weight report.

Jack Canavera
STL. Mo.
'04 Classic S.O. 30'
WBCCI 5024