[A/S] Re: Trauma on I-40

Hunter

I am glad you are fine.  Too bad you had to go through that bad
experience.  The new Michelins will be good.  I have had Michelins
in most of my vehicles over the years, and do not recall ever having
a problem with them.  Any tire can get a nail in it though.

It is funny but we also had a blowout this past weekend.  Coming
back from the Florida Keys this past Monday early afternoon one of
the (2 year old) Towmasters in the Airstream blew out.  Some light
damage to the wheel well area.  Except for a loud "pop" I would have
never known I had a blown tire.

I had to call Good Sam for someone to come out and change the tire.
I had a spare and had changed another tire (a flat) on another
occassion.  However, the way the Airstream is built the tire rim of
the blown tire did not hit the ground  (which is very good:  it
allowed me to drive a safe distance to a stop)  When I went to
change it I could not get it to stop rotating freely, even by
turning on the electric brakes with my wife putting both her feet on
the GMC Yukon XL brakes.  So I had no way to excert enough pressure
to remove the wheel nuts.  They came out and did the job for me.
Good thing I had a spare.

When I had the flat before, the tire was intact so I was able to use
the brake we use when we park the trailer to stop the tire rotating
and I was able to do the job myself.  Cant do that when there is no
tire there.  :):)

The second Towmaster on the same side was removed for a puncture
repair and was found to have an internal bubble.  The Towmasters on
the left side appear to be OK.  I have to think about what to do
about this situation re: tire replacement.  These are relatively new
tires.  And Towmasters appears to have better reputation than
Goodyear Marathon and some others.

On your $882 bill.  I once spent $500 to take off and replace
Firestones from a Mercury Mountaineer I used to own.  That was
before the Firestone recall because one of my Firestones developed a
problem where the cord became visible.  Had I waited I would have
been reimbursed later, but I got rid of the old tires.  I thought my
life was worth $500 then.

I am keeping the Towmasters until I decide what to do next.

\Think of yourself as too cute to die.  And well worth $882

M.Ferro
1983 Excella 31
2003 Yukon XL
Hensley hitch