RE: [A/S] Trauma on I-40

Hunter,
Glad that you, the dogs and the rig are okay.  Anytime there is a blowout,
everything is on the line potentially.  As you stated, having a great tow
vehicle and a great hitch at least bias things a more in your favor.  I
would second the motion on the Michelins.  On our tow vehicle, I immediately
replaced the factory tires with new Pirelli Scorpions before it hardly left
the dealers lot.  But at 33,000 miles, one of them decided to develop
internal cord separation.  It occurred while we returning from the RM VAC
rally.  It felt more like a tire out of balance and we did make it home.
When I took the truck to Discount Tire to have the tires checked, that was
when the cord separation was discovered and we found that on the opposite
side of the tire from the separation, the innermost tread was almost to the
cords.  A couple of hundred more miles and we would have faced the same
situation as you encountered.  The remaining tires were to within 1/32 of
the treadwear indicators, (Discount Tire expected 60,000 treadlife), so they
gave me about 60% refund for those and 100% trade on the failed and I now
have 4 Michelins LTX series tires (I had purchased the Pirellis at Discount
Tire as well).  The ride is better than the Pirelli tires and hopefully will
last a bit longer.
Take care.

David