Re: [A/S] leak prevention in argosy

         We have a 1995 Excella, so our experience may not be as relevant
as might be desired.  We, too, had moisture - a wet carpet - between the
twin beds.  Took it to Walt, who discovered that water was coming in via
the cargo doors on either side of the trailer (curbside in particular).  On
our trailer, the cargo doors are about 2' wide, and have only one
lock.  The moisture got beneath the clear plastic cover and wicked in
through the carpeting, which extends out through the cargo compartments.
         Walt found and fixed that by putting some heavy weather stripping
around the door back, and replacing the gasket.  This made the door a bit
hard to shut completely, but it was and is watertight (sound of knocking on
wood).
         About one year later, we noticed a wet carpet again, and found
that only the rear cargo compartment was wet.  I put weather stripping
around the door, but that did not work this time.  So, we took the trailer
back to Walt's.  He and Paul discovered (by having paul get inside the rear
cargo compartment to look for leaks while Walt ran water from a hose down
the outside.  Almost immediately, Paul shouted for him to stop.  Water was
pouring into the compartment through the hole where the license tag
mounting fixture was affixed to the trailer.
         You could check these things out - see if your cargo compartments
are wet, etc.  The message here is that, besides the usual source of leaks
- windows, doors, and seams, sometimes leaks can occur in surprising ways.

>[snip]
>    another question is storage, i live on the canadian border in vermont
> and because of the slight leak i have been reviewing storage options.
> does anybody use one of those big rv storage tents? thanks for your input.

The "word" is, don't use one of those bags.  A tent, supported by poles so
nothing touches the trailer, should work fine, and several on the list have
done that.

- Dick
(5368)