RE: [A/S] Door Problem

Hi Verna,
I have a 1998 Limited 34' front kitchen, and had the top hinge bolts get
slightly loose during my first trip. I went through the same drill to get to
the back of the bolts. I replaced mine with stainless bolts also, and put
nuts on the back that have nylon inserts to keep them from coming loose. I
also put a second "jam" nut on each bolt to make sure it did not come loose
again. I have towed mine about 45,000 miles sense the repair, and have had
no more problems with the hinges coming loose. I just wonder if they are
going the extra mile to make sure the bolts stay tight. Once they start to
get loose, I could see how the extra movement of the door could cause the
bolts to fail.
I do have one of the pins that the door hinge pivots around that WILL NOT
stay down in the hinge. It keeps working it's self up out of the hinge, and
I have to keep driving it back in. I have tried putting little "dimples" in
the seam between the pin and the body of the hinge with a center punch, but
the pin still slowly works up out of the hinge. I have learned to just keep
an eye on the pin and drive it back in when it sticks up enough to notice.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624