Another thought on memory foam

I have a challenge out there for folks--do we really know
what "memory foam" is? I'm starting to believe that maybe the
name "memory foam" is a marketing ploy to get us to shell out extra
money for regular old foam (mind you regular old foam is pretty
pricey, too).

My reason is this--I bought a fancy mattress topper out of "memory
foam" a few months ago. It was too big for my bed, so we cut it down
to size. Shortly thereafter, I bought new foam for our trailer. It
was high quality grade, but regular foam.

Then my girlfriend mentioned that her husband questioned whether
the "memory foam" was for real. So, we devised a test--taking scraps
of the "memory foam", the replacement trailer foam and some cheap
foam from Hancock fabrics. We gave a blind test to about 30 folks.
Verdict--no tester could identify the "memory foam", and for favorite
foam, the trailer foam came out tops (though there were lots of votes
for the other two foams).

I looked up the patent for "memory foam." This stated that memory
foam is intended to take an impression when heated and remain
compressed in that position when cooled to room temperature. I'm not
sure if that is desireable--that's the old caved in foam problem.
Moreover, I don't know--my topper (which had the memory foam
trademark) does not retain an impression of our bodies when we get up
(though it probably will when it gets old).

So, no proof here, just an interesting indications. Indeed, the foam
may require temperatures higher than body temps to work. But from
what we could tell from our informal tests, the difference is
immaterial to most folks in actual handling. We certainly like our
matress topper--but I've become increasingly convinced that probably
any old foam would be as nice (not sure about durability--may have to
test that next).