[A/S] Start and Run capacitors for 77 Sovereign

Hello Charlie.
    I have been mostly a lurker here for many years as don't have an
airstream, but get lots of wonderful info from this list.  I thought I'd
chime in again though on this one.
    Two things come to mind regarding the AC.  First is that you might be
right that the capacitors are bad.  They are sized by voltage and
microfarads (voltage not necessarily related to the line voltage of 110 volt
ac).  You will need to pull them out and take them to be tested if you don't
have the proper equipment to actually test operation of the capacitors.  Any
refrigeration supply or repair outlet should be able to do this and don't
need an "rv" facility for testing.
    One other thing that some folks might not be aware of though is that
even if your capacitors are good, many old compressors wear on the inside in
such a manner that they get in a bind when starting.  So many of them are
condemmed in this manner as defective when they can usually be saved with
something called a "Super Start" capacitor.  These are "piggyback"
capacitive start units that are designed to plug into right on top of the
compressor electrical plugs and give a rather large "boost" to the
compressor to "kick start" it again.  I used to install these all the time
when I worked for a few years in the trade and they work fantastic.   Also
relatively cheap as most of them, if I remember were from 12 to 25 bucks
depending on size of the unit.  They are very adaptable and if memory serves
the one that would be a small 5000 btu room unit would also do a 13,000 btu
unit as well.  They are also made for electrical compressor powered
refrigerators.  You can buy these units at any "appliance parts store" that
sells home appliance parts such as stove burners, washing machine pumps and
belts, etc.  They also stock the capacitors for your ac and the Super Start
capaticitor kits.  It is not necessary to know brand or any other info on
the ac to replace your  factory capacitors as the info to size them is
stamped right on the size of the capacitor.  The Super Start units you only
need to know the BTU of the unit and the voltage, which in your case would
be 110 volts.
    Of course don't forget that simple "low voltage" to the trailer can
cause the exact same symptoms that you described.  Would check for that
before doing anything else as that could be all the problem in itself.

Sterling...........