RE: [A/S] brake controllers

Despite what may have seemed to have been an implied lack of manual
override on some controller, all the controllers in discussion, DO HAVE
a manual override.  That discussion was more about the fact that all the
modern controllers have gone to a large button vs the older lever design
for the overrides.  Which is better?  Well as long as you can reach it
without stretching, the control response is smooth and offers enough
travel during depression, the button design works well.  The problem is
that many of these controllers are being mounted in locations that
virtually preclude reaching the manual override.  This is an
installation issue rather than a design flaw.

Other than the Prodigy, which uses changes in inertia to determine
braking, there is the Jordan Ultima (http://www.jordanbrake.com), which
uses a mechanical cable that attaches to the brake pedal.  There is also
the new BrakeSmart unit from MasterBrake (www.masterbrake.com) (also
sold by Hensley as the TruControl).  This is a very sophisticated unit
that uses a solid state pressure transducer mounted to the tow vehicle
master brake cylinder.  This system is the closest to the old hydraulic
controller in operation.

The Prodigy, Jordan and BrakeSmart are all excellent controllers, each
approaching the problem from a different angle. All three offer
proportional response based on their sensed input.  I favor the Jordon
(which I own) and BrakeSmart simply because I want the trailer braking
being a factor of something I am directly doing with the tow vehicle
brakes, but again, there are probably more Prodigy units in use than any
other.

david