Re: [A/S] swaying of 19' Bambi

Lois, sorry for your sad experience on your first "real" tow, but rejoice
with the group that you are all OK from the experience.  One thought on your
sway.  When the dealer set up the rig (tow vehicle and Airstream), both were most
likely unloaded.  One area I would consider would be if your hitch set-up was
correct after you loaded your SUV and Airstream for the trip.  You may have
needed to put more of the trailer weight onto the front wheels of the tow
vehicle (tighten your chains on the sway bars).

A year or so ago someone posted a good note on how to set up your rig and
make sure that the load is distributed correctly.  It involved going to a level
area and measuring the height of a front and rear reference point on the tow
vehicle, then putting the Airstream on the hitch ball and trying different sway
bar chain points until both ends of the tow vehicle were displaced the same
distance.  As I recall, this was the intent of the note, but I may have left out
a few finer points.

I assume that you have the new Reese hitch with the roller on the end of the
sway bars.  I don't have any experience with this newer system.  My sway bars
are the older style with cams.  On my style sway bars, when the tow vehicle
and trailer are in a straight line, the pocket of the cams should be ridding the
"hump" on the arms that are attached to the trailer A-frame.

If you are towing and do not have sufficient weight on the front suspension
of the tow vehicle, the rig will be very unstable.

Sam
WBCCI 12557